Monday, April 30, 2012

High Finance

Dear Heather,
Recently I started a new job. My company offered me a variety of profit-sharing programs managed by a global financial corporation. The problem is I feel corporations and the stock market are evil, exploiting the resources of less developed populations. Thus, I do not want to give them my hard earned dollars. What do you suggest I do?
Daniel
Charleston, SC

Dear Daniel,
Your note heartens me because it reminds me there are people in society who still have values.  I say stick to your ethics. Choose a socially equitable mutual fund or just put your money in a savings account.  You might not make the huge gains you could investing in shares of oil companies and defense contractors, but you'll sleep at night knowing you never compromised your personal value system.
Heather

No comments: