Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Miss Representation

Dear Heather,
This morning I received an e-mail from a political action group encouraging me to "Be The Change" I wish to see in the world. I find this patronizing as I am the change every day I walk out my front door and have been for 42 years as a female, American, writer, organizer, Professor, compassionate, decent, self-aware human being walking on planet earth but not getting rich for it or recognized with fancy awards, trophies, or media attention. Do I have a right to feel this way?
Sincerely,
Danita Jo

Dear Danita Jo,
Do you know you share the same name as a popular Janet Jackson album? That aside, yes by all means you have every right to feel this way. It is somewhat aggravating to be told what to do when you don't need anyone to tell you how to do what you're already doing.
Sincerely,
Heather

No comments: