Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

Dear Heather,
It is the Fourth of July. Everyone is shooting off fireworks and yelling "God Bless America." I love my country, but have difficulty accessing the types of emotions that trigger such passionate displays of patriotism. Is something wrong with me?
James Madison V,
Gettysburg, WV

Dear James,
Are you related to the fourth President of the US? If so, then, my answer is "yes." As a descendent of President James Madison, one would think you could muster up a little more enthusiasm for the star spangled holiday that only comes once a year. If not, I would say, "no," there's nothing wrong with you. There are many Americans who don't get excited about fireworks, parades, and flag waving. It might not seem like it today, but I am telling you the truth.
Sincerely,
Heather

No comments: