Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Moms and Daughters

Dear Heather,
I recently called my mom to see if she liked the pictures I sent her of our new baby. My mom responded, saying she thought the baby looked cross-eyed. How do I handle this criticism of our child, who is quite lovely and not cross-eyed at all?
Under Mom's Spell,
Dallas, TX

Dear Under,
You have several choices. First, you can choose never to send your mom another photo of your child. This is one way to ensure this will never happen again. Two, confront your mom with compassionate dialogue expressing the hurt about her comments. This approach would be recommended by accredited therapists. Last, pour yourself a double gin and tonic before picking up the phone next time. The askheather staff unanimously supports the third option.
Best of luck,
Heather

No comments: