Thursday, September 17, 2020

Chris Brown Song

Dear Heather,
Sometimes I am grooving to the heavy beats of a hip hop song and suddenly I realize the lyrics are degrading to women. For example, in the Chris Brown song, Loyal, he constantly refers to women as "bitches" and "hoes." This presents a serious conflict for me. Even though I'm a middle-aged, Caucasian woman, I still occasionally like to drop it like it's hot. What should I do?
Paula
Phoenix

Dear Paula,
I completely hear you about the lyrics, but you can't let anything get in the way of getting your groove on. Some songs will have to be turned off due to the blatantly misogynistic messages. But, you can also seek out some great artists who combine a good beat with excellent songwriting: Beyonce, Common, Pink, and Justin Timberlake, for example. These are a few artists who will inspire you with great beats and great lyrics.
Keep on dancing,
Heather

No comments: