Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Regretful Brushing of Elbows

Dear Heather,
Yesterday I was at the store. I was browsing for cheeses. The store was relatively empty because it was late morning. Suddenly, a family of three, apparently also looking for cheese, stood so close to me I could feel one of their elbows brush against mine. Given that the store was practically empty, why did they all need to come up and be right next to me in my personal space?
Traumatized in Suburban America,
Darlene

Dear Darlene,
I have asked this question many a time, especially after arriving home and vowing never to go grocery shopping again. Basic civility is no longer shown as people are obsessed with procuring material items in a retail environment. Humans today are object-centered--an unfortunate byproduct of capitalist thought.
Sincerely,
Heather

No comments: